Sunday, July 12, 2009

Training Session

July 10,
Diving with the Scali Boys, training session number two. Training session #1 had the boys in 12-15ft. They were so green, I had to hang on to them at the bottom. They thought I was trying to drown them. With additional counseling and a couple of dives in the keys. We join up again on this date. We started in the shallows just north of the port, worked our way north to the outside buoys by Commerical Blvd. There the boys were all laying on the bottom in the sand at 30-32. We really were not seeing much to shoot so I decided to take them to the third reef. We jumped out of the boat with the fish finder saying 47'. The ledge was on the inside and the drop off to the sand was 55' slooping down to 63'. We hung over the reef, I decided to only use only 1 gun my gun with a reel, made them watch each other. All the boys were doing great, I gave them tips on their form and drops. Each was improving with each drop. After an hour on the reef the boys were dropping good we saw a nice size jack. I shot the jack and bullied myself back to the surface where I decided to let each of the boys feel the strength of the fish. Each had their turn at being pulled under. A valuable lesson for them, never to under estimate the strength of a fish.

Next when I thought they were all relaxed I decided to show them a SWB (simulated of course). I was interested in what they would. Since we were all watching each other and the water viz was +70 at least, I cut my dive short on the bottom and around 10 ft. I stretched out and faked a SWB. I had my eyes closed so I could do is listen. What I heard was 3 boys scrambling off the surface and grabbing me, when they got me to the surface I opened my eyes and told them good job. I also told them next time to drop my weight belt. Which would have made it easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment