Monday, June 8, 2009

Port St. Lucie Report 6/8/09

Well Sunday started off for me at 3:30 am, preparation all day Saturday restringing the guns and trying to glue the holes in my 7 year old Picasso suit. During my sleep I decided to take my Oceanos 5 mil top just in case the Picasso became unusable. The guns were restrung with 1 wrap teflon coated S/S and one wrap shooting line. That is how my Aimrite Venom came so I just redid it and my Hybrid the same way. I got to the ramp about 1/2 hour late. I got lost and ended up in Fort Pierce. Waiting at the ramp was Hector, his brother Adrian and our skipper a good old friend of mine Brent "the Dentist".

Winds were less then 10 mph and seas were about 2 feet, vis at our first location was about 30-40 ft, current was just enough to make it a pain in the ass. First site was in less then 50 ft. a wreck with a big Jewfish on it, so big one time I dropped within 3 feet of it and it didn't even move. About my 3 or 4th dropped I layed still on the bottom and poked a mutton with the Venom.

Next we move to another wreck further north, again because of vis. and current conditions it was difficult to find. After drifting for a little bit, Hector was near me and I was breathing up to visit the sandy bottom, when I saw some baitfish under Hector, I dove down under Hector and could see a ray with a Cobia on it, I looked for a few more milliseconds for bigger cobias but saw none thinking Hector was just above me I didn't have long to think and let the Venom steel fly. Nicely placed I returned the Cobia to the boat. This is Brent's shiny new white boat, and one good size cobia tossing and jumping like no tomorrow (well there was no tomorrow for him) blood was flying all over that boat. It looked like Friday 13th in 3-D. For a while I just stood their amazed at the scene of Brent trying to subdue him. After pulling the shaft threw we got him in the cooler.

Now I'm thinking this is a pretty cool place. So far, I've seen hugh Jewfish, Rays, 40 lb. snook, oh did I mention a 20-25 lb cubera, walls of cuda, permit, jacks, tons of mutton and its only 9 am.

Hector's brother would get to shoot a Cobia and a mutton too, then it just seemed like all the fish got really educated or spooked, cuz it was slim pickens. We called it the day early. I think Brent had a "HoneyDo" list.

Long drive, good day! Everyone back, no gear lost or broken, and I get a good size Cobia to take home. Many thanks to Brent for the invite and Hector for letting me shot the Cobia (you snooze you loose).

No comments:

Post a Comment